The main objective of this solution is to make online payment easy and secure. The platform has been developed by the National Payments Corporation of India in collaboration with the Financial Services Department, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the National Health Authority.
Takaking the first step towards having a digital currency in the country, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch an electronic voucher based digital payment system “e-RUPI” Monday. The platform, which has been developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the National Health Authority, will be a person-specific and purpose-specific payments system.
How will e-RUPI work?
- E rupi UPI is a cashless and contactless digital payments medium, which will be delivered to mobile phones of beneficiaries in form of an SMS-string or a QR code. This will essentially be like a prepaid gift-voucher that will be redeemable at specific accepting centres without any credit or debit card, a mobile app or internet banking. e-RUPI will connect the sponsors of the services with the beneficiaries and service providers in a digital manner without any physical interface.
What are e-RUPI benefits to the consumer?
- Following are e-RUPI benefits to the consumer:
- Contactless – beneficiary should not carry a printout of the voucher
- Easy redemption – 2 step redemption process
- Safe and Secure – Beneficiary doesn’t need to share personal details while redemption hence privacy is maintained
- No digital or bank presence required – Consumer redeeming the voucher need not have a digital payment app or a bank account
Which banks are live with e-RUPI?
- Axis Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Canara Bank
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Indian Bank
- Kotak Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- State Bank of India
- Union Bank of India
Source: TV9 Gujarati