1 In 1960 Gujarat State was formed after it was separated from Maharashtra and many Chief Ministers visited Gujarat. In this post we will know the list of names of various Chief Ministers of Gujarat and their history.
Since Dr. Jivarajbhai Narayanbhai Mehta became the first Chief Minister of Gujarat on 1960, many Chief Ministers have taken charge of Gujarat and done different development works till the year 2023. Bhupendrabhai Patel is currently working as the Chief Minister of Gujarat from the year 2023.
Chief Ministers of Gujarat
Jivarajbhai Narayanbhai Mehta
After winning from Amreli seat, Jivarajbhai Mehta became the Chief Minister of Gujarat twice from 1st May 1960 to 3rd March 1962 and from 3rd March 1962 to 19th September 1963.
- Panchayati Raj was implemented during his period.
- The first no-confidence motion was against Jivaraj Mehta.
- Liquor ban was introduced in Gujarat during his time.
- Cow slaughter was stopped in Teman state.
- The Panchayat Act was passed in the Legislative Assembly.
- Gujarat State Khadi and Village Industries Board formed.
Balwantrai Mehta: Originally a resident of Bhavnagar, Balwantrai Mehta was very much influenced by Gandhiji’s ideology. After winning the Bhavnagar seat, Balwantrai Mehta served as the Chief Minister of Gujarat from 19 September 1963 to 20 September 1965.
- Panchayati Raj was improved.
- Two new districts of Valsad and Gandhinagar were created.
- Kandla Free Trade Zone was established.
- He died in a plane crash during the war with Pakistan.
Hitendrabhai Kanaiyalal Desai: After winning the Allpad seat, Hitendrabhai Desai served as the Chief Minister of Gujarat from 20 September 1965 to 3 April 1967 and from 3 April 1967 to 12 May 1971.
- It was during his period that the capital of Gujarat was shifted from Ahmedabad to Gandhinagar.
- Pardi Grassland of Valsad district brought a happy solution.
- During the drought of 1968-69, he did successful relief work.
- Vigilance Commission constituted
Presidential rule: President’s rule was imposed from 12 May 1971 to 17 March 1972.
Ghanshyambhai Ojha: After winning the Dehgam seat, Ghanshyambhai Ojha was the Chief Minister of Gujarat from 17 March 1972 to 17 July 1973. During his tenure secondary education was declared free throughout the state.
- He introduced the Upper Limit Act for land, exempting small farmers from revenue.
- Gujarat Board of Secondary Education was formed during his tenure.
Chimanbhai Patel: After winning the Sankheda seat, Chimanbhai Patel held office as the Chief Minister of Gujarat from 18 July 1973 to 9 February 1974. He became the Chief Minister of Gujarat at the youngest age.
- Navnirman movement took place during his tenure.
- With the help of Kisan leaders, they formed a regional party called Gujarat Kisan Majdoor Paksha.
Vijaybhai Rupani: He was the Chief Minister of Gujarat from 7 August 2016 to 26 December 2017 and from 26 December 2017 to 11 September 2020 after winning from the Rajkot West seat. Got an opportunity to become the first woman Chief Minister of Gujarat. Patidar movement took place during his time.
Bhupendrabhai Patel: He has held the post of Chief Minister from 13 September 2021 to 12 December 2022 and most recently from 12 December 2022 after winning the Ghatlodia seat.
FAQ about Chief Ministers of Gujarat
Who was the first tribal chief minister of Gujarat?
Answer: The first tribal chief minister of Gujarat was Amar Singh Chaudhary.
Who was the first woman Chief Minister of Gujarat?
Answer: The first woman Chief Minister was Anandiben Patel.
Who is the present Chief Minister of Gujarat?
Answer: Bhupendrabhai Patel is the current Chief Minister of Gujarat from 12 December 2022.
Who was the first Chief Minister of Gujarat?
Answer: Jivarajbhai Mehta was the first Chief Minister of Gujarat.
Who is the current Chief Minister and Governor of Gujarat?
Answer: The current Chief Minister of Gujarat is Bhupendrabhai Patel and the current Governor is Acharya Dev Vrat.