ONGC scholarship is an exclusive scholarship opportunity for students belonging to SC/ST/OBC and General categories who are studying in the first year of Engineering, MBBS, MBA or Master in Geophysics/Geology programme. Run by the ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Company) Limited, under its CSR initiative, the scholarship rewards 2000 meritorious students every year. If you are an Indian national and studying in the courses specified, you can apply for the ONGC scholarship scheme to stay advantaged.
What is the amount of financial assistance given to students under this scheme? Who are eligible to apply for it? When and how can a student apply for ONGC scholarship? What are the documents required to apply for the scholarship? Know all the answers in detail in this article. It provides you with in-depth information about the scholarship, its eligibility, awards, application process and more.
Latest Update: ONGC Foundation has announced scholarships for meritorious students of SC/ST/OBC and General category for the academic year 2020-21. The last date to apply for these scholarships is 6th August 2021.
Name of the Scholarship
- ONGC Scholarship to Meritorious General Category Students 2020-21 : Click Here
- ONGC Scholarship to Meritorious OBC Category Students 2020-21 : Click Here
- ONGC Scholarship to Meritorious SC/ST Category Students 2020-21 : Click Here
Overview of ONGC Scholarship
Name of the Scholarship
- ONGC Scholarship to Meritorious SC/ST/OBC and General Category Students
Total number of scholarships available : 2,000 Students
- For SC/ST Students – 1,000*
- For OBC Students – 500*
- For General category students – 500*
Amount of scholarship
- INR 48,000 per annum to each scholar (INR 4,000 per month)
Stream-wise distribution of scholarships
- Engineering – 494 (SC/ST) + 300 (OBC) + 300 (General)
- MBBS – 90 (SC/ST) + 50 (OBC) + 50 (General)
- MBA – 146 (SC/ST) + 50 (OBC) + 50 (General)
Zone-wise distribution of scholarships
- North Zone – 200 (SC/ST) + 100 (OBC) + 100 (General)
- West Zone – 200 (SC/ST) + 100 (OBC) + 100 (General)
- North-East Zone – 200 (SC/ST) + 100 (OBC) + 100 (General)
- East Zone – 200 (SC/ST) + 100 (OBC) + 100 (General)
- South Zone – 200 (SC/ST) + 100 (OBC) + 100 (General)
States coming under the North Zone
- Chandigarh, Delhi, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand
States coming under the West Zone
- Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Dadar & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu
States coming under the North-East Zone
- Assam, Mizoram, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Tripura, Meghalaya, Nagaland
States coming under East Zone
- Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand
States coming under South Zone
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep
*50% of the total number of scholarships are reserved for female candidates.
ONGC Scholarship – Important Dates
- When does the ONGC announce the scholarship every year? By when can you apply for it? Are there any other important dates to take into consideration? Find an answer to all these questions in the table below. It highlights all important dates related to ONGC scholarship for the academic session 2020-21. These dates are subject to change on the discretion of the scholarship provider. Keep track of these dates to not miss an opportunity from ONGC.
Important Dates of ONGC Scholarship 2020-21
- Start Date of ONGC Scholarship Applications : 07th July 2021
- Last Date to Submit ONGC Scholarship Applications : 06th August 2021
- Declaration of Final List of Scholarship Beneficiaries : To be announced
*The dates mentioned above are applicable for the academic session 2020-21. It may change next year at the discretion of the scholarship provider.
ONGC Scholarship – Key Eligibility
- Who can apply for the ONGC scholarship? Is there any age limit to apply for the scholarship? What should be the academic qualification of the student? Is there a marks criterion too for the scholarship? Get the answers to all these questions hereunder. The key eligibility conditions that a student needs to follow to apply for the ONGC scholarship are mentioned in the table below –
Detailed Eligibility Conditions of ONGC Scholarship
Nationality : Indian
Category of students
- Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST)/ Other Backward Classes (OBC) and General categories
Current academic qualification
- The applicant must be a full-time student in the 1st year of Engineering/MBBS course or 1st year of MBA / Master in Geology / Geophysics at an AICTE/UGC/MCI/State University/State Education Board/Central University/Central Government institution.
Qualifying examination details
- For Engineering / MBBS programme – The students must have passed Class 12 examination with minimum 60% marks.
- For MBA / Masters in Geology / Geophysics – The students must have passed graduation with minimum 60% marks or 6.0 CGPA/OGPA on a 10-point scale of the grading system.
Gross annual family income
- For SC/ST candidates: Less than INR 4.50 Lakh per annum from all sources
- For OBC/General candidates: Less than INR 2 Lakh per annum from all sources
- Maximum 30 years as on 1st July 2020
ONGC Scholarship – Application Process
Where can you apply for the ONGC scholarship? What are the steps to be followed to apply for the scholarship? Is the scholarship application online or offline? Where can you get the application form? The answer to all your questions related to ONGC scholarship application is covered in this section. The eligible students are required to submit the applications offline by following the step-by-step procedure mentioned below –
- Step 1: Visit the official page of the ONGC scholarship.
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Apply Scholarship’ button to start the application.
- Step 3: Fill in all required details in the application form. (Note: The students are required to fill the application form in capital letters).
- Step 4: Upload all supporting documents along with the completed application duly certified as well as forwarded by the Dean/Head/Principal of the University/Institute/College and submit.
- Step 5: Also, a hard copy of the same should reach the designated ONGC office of your respective zone. (Note: The zone from where you can apply is decided based on the location of your college/institute/university of the qualifying examination, not on the basis of your domicile). Refer to the address of designated zone offices in the table below to send the completed applications.
Zone-Wise Address for Application Submission
- GM (HR), ONGC, NBP Green Heights, Plot No. C-69, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (E), Mumbai – 400051
- Chief Manager (HR), Reservation Cell, Green Hills, A-Wing, Ground Floor, ONGC, Tel Bhavan, Dehradun – 248003
- In charge HR/ER, SVS, ONGC, Assam Asset, Central Workshop, 2nd Floor, B.G. Road, Sivasagar – 785640, Assam
- In charge HR/ER, MBA Basin, ONGC, 50 – J.L. Nehru Road, Kolkata – 700071
- In charge HR/ER, ONGC, 7th Floor, East Wing, CMDA Tower – I, Gandhi Irwin Road, Egmore, Chennai – 600008
ONGC Scholarship – Documents Required
The applications for ONGC scholarship remain incomplete without certain important documents that a student needs to enclose with the application to support the information provided in it. The list of key documents that you need to prepare handy before applying for the scholarship include –
- Passport size photograph of the applicant
- Caste certificate (in English/Hindi language)
- Age proof (birth certificate/ class 10th mark sheet)
- Mark sheet of the qualifying examination
- Annual family income certificate (in English/Hindi language)
- Bank details (in the prescribed format)
- Copy of the PAN card
- Copy of Adhaar card
- Copy of undertaking
ONGC Scholarship – Selection Criteria
It is a merit-based scholarship that takes your academic merit into account for final selection. The list of final selected scholars is made by the company itself. If you are pursuing an Engineering or MBBS programme, the selection is based on your performance in the class 12th examination. However, if you are pursuing an MBA or Masters course in Geology or Geophysics, the selection is based on your performance at graduation level. In the case of students having equal marks in the qualifying examination, students with lower family income will be selected. Furthermore, the preference will be given to students from BPL (Below Poverty Line) families and other students shall be considered only if the sufficient number of students from BPL families fulfilling the eligibility criteria is not available.
ONGC Scholarship – Terms and Conditions
- To ensure successful implementation and disbursement of the scholarship, ONGC has set certain terms and conditions for the students to fulfill. These include –
- The students, who intend to apply for the ONGC scholarship should not be in receipt of any other scholarship or financial assistance.
- To ensure the continuation of scholarship every year, the scholars need to show satisfactory performance in their annual examination.
- The conduct of the scholar is also taken into consideration for scholarship continuation.
- The students have to obtain at least 50% marks or a scale of 5 grade points out of 10.
- In case, the student fails to maintain the academic requirements or conduct, the scholarship will not be paid to them for the respective year.
- Furthermore, if the scholarship is discontinued, the students can apply for renewal by filling the scholarship renewal application form in the specified format, only if they have been able to maintain the said percentage or grades again.
ONGC Scholarship – About ONGC
ONGC – Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited is a pioneer public enterprise company in India. It is the largest producer of natural gas and crude oil nationwide. Recognized in the ‘Most Admired Energy Companies’ list of Fortune, the company has set several benchmarks over the years. As part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), the company has introduced several schemes focusing on areas like education, healthcare, entrepreneurship, women empowerment, water management and more. ONGC scholarship for SC/ST students is one of its initiative to promote higher education among the students belonging to SC/ST category.
ONGC Scholarship – Contact Details
In case you come across any query related to the ONGC scholarship, its eligibility, application process, rewards or any other concern, feel free to contact the provider on the below-given details –
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited,
Green Hills Tel Bhavan,
Dehradun – 248003
Tel.: 0135 – 2792630, 2792656