The Ministry of Education, Department of Higher Education today launched YUVA- Prime Minister’s Scheme For Mentoring Young Authors, an Author Mentorship programme to train young and budding authors (below 30 years of age) in order to promote reading, writing and book culture in the country, and project India and Indian writings globally.
The launch of YUVA (Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors) is in tune with PM’s vision to encourage young writers to write about India’s freedom struggle. It was during Mann ki Baat on 31 January 2021, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi called upon the young generation to write about freedom fighters, incidents associated with freedom, the saga of valour during the period of freedom struggle in their respective areas – as the best tribute to the heroes of India’s freedom – as we celebrate 75 years of Indian Independence.
Highlights of YUVA (Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors):
- A total of 75 authors will be selected through an All India Contest to be conducted through https://www.mygov.in/ from 1 June – 31 July 2021.
- The winners will be announced on 15 August 2021.
- The young authors will be trained by eminent authors/mentors.
- Under the mentorship, the manuscripts will be readied by 15 Dec. 2021 for publication.
- The published books will be launched on 12 January 2022 on the occasion of National Youth Day (Yuva Diwas).
- A consolidated scholarship of Rs.50,000 per month for a period of six months per author will be paid under the Mentorship Scheme
Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently announced the launch of the YUVA Mentoring scheme, a programme that will help young authors pursue their love for writing by promoting the Indian heritage and history through their works.
PM Modi said that the scheme aimed at creating a pool of under-30 authors to promote Indian heritage, culture and knowledge offers an “interesting opportunity” for youngsters to harness their writing skills and contribute to the nation’s intellectual discourse.
SELECTION PROCEDURE OF YOUNG AUTHORS / युवा लेखकों की चयन प्रक्रिया
A total of 75 authors will be selected through an All India Contest at MyGov.
The selection will be made by a Committee to be constituted by NBT
The contest will run from 4th June to 31st July 2021.
The contestants will be asked to submit a manuscript of 5,000 words to judge its suitability to develop as a proper book under the Mentorship Scheme